• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
general driving - use of advance/retard
Hi Geoff,
Does it not advise in the handbook?
Anyway, this from a Lagonda site but I suspect there would be no automatic advance on it
"Proceed as follows: Having started the engine retarded, you should then advance the ignition up until the engine runs smoothly ( you will hear the revs pick up) and then when you drive off, once underway, continue to advance the ignition until the engine just starts to "pink" or "knock" and then retard the ignition back until the pinking just disappears, the ignition will then be in it's optimum setting for smooth running and maximum power.
You may need to retard the ignition slightly when climbing a hill and then advance up again when on the level.
When you have driven the car a few times you should get to know roughly where the correct position is on the quadrant."

I had a 1954  Renault Frégate which had a manual advance/retard cable, but also a fully automatic advance and vacuum unit in the distributor! I just set the ignition timing by the distributor in the normal way and never touched the control except once when it pinked on French petrol!
Martin

Messages In This Thread
RE: general driving - use of advance/retard - by Martin Mc - 01-03-2022, 06:12 PM