• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panhard Dyna Z1 Part 1
13/09/1954 Panhard Dyna Z1 LHD

It is believed the car was bought new by Air Marshal Sir Philip Babbington, KCB, MC, AFC. RAF retired 1944. (wikipedia) We had thought it was bought  in Germany whilst still on active duty, but as he retired in 1944 it is more likely the car was a private import (uncomfirmed) as Panhard were not sold in the UK at that time, but probably backed up by its September 1954 UK registration.

It must have sold on fairly soon in its life, as by 1998 the 2nd owner had owned it for over 40 years (see advert below) but sadly had been, laterley, very badly neglected after a gearbox problem, and left in a garden in Perivale Middlesex. It was discovered, and the advert below placed in the UK Panhard club magazine in September 1998. There were no immediate takers and so two of the Panhard club members rescued it to avoid its scrapping.

A short time elapsed in their care and after much deliberation on my part, I had always fancied an all alloy bodied model, despite them being very fragile and easily dented, I acquired it, borrowed a car, hired a trailer and brought it back north. It was parked in a barn near Leyland where my brother in law, Peter, painted the picture below. I did nothing with it and after about six months or so, I finally decided to move it on again.

The current owner tucked it away in another barn down near Shrewsbury. The final two photographs were taken December 2010 some 12 years after I passed it on. I had been contacted to come and have look, by the chap who got it from me, with a view to carrying out the mechanical and electrical renovation. You will have spotted in the photo below there is a slight glimpse of another Panhard, a late model 24ct, so it then became a choice of which one do we start first..................the Dyna won!...................

to be continued!

Martin