• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panhard Dyna Z1 Part 2
Part two.
[b]13/09/1954 Panhard Dyna Z1 LHD[/b]

The car arrived  here in Sunny Stockport by transporter on 13th December 2010, and after a review of the work needed a start was made on its strip down, and an extensive list made of the mechanical and electrical work needed. Everything needed attention!  Engine, gearbox, exhaust, all electrcal componets, inc rewire, total retrim, brakes, tyres and of course the body, which whilst not rusty, had certainly seen a bit of life! 
Evidence of previous rodent habitation was rife! Old rags, food etc had been dragged into the bulkhead and front steel chassis member. The latter had completely rotted through as a result, and luckily a very rare replacement was obtained via the Dutch Panhard club,
The original and spare engines were u/s so the decision was made to fit the later M5 (PL17) unit but retaining the original "bobbin" type front engine mountings.
By May 2011 I had virtually completed my work ie subframe fitted, wiring attended to, engine and box looked at, brakes replaced but not bled, in fact most of the mechanical work.
The car was then transported back to Shrewsbury to await a "slot" in the chosen body and paint shop.
It would in fact be late 2011 early 2012 before it finally went in for body and paint.

to be continued in part 3    

Attached Files Image(s)

I found some extra horror photos!

Attached Files Image(s)

Part three.
[b]13/09/1954 Panhard Dyna Z1 LHD.[/b]

Early 2012 now, and once the body and paint guys got started on the car it was confirmed there was a lot of accident damage including a quite sizable amount on the o/s front bulkhead area, which appears to have affected the suspension too! As you will appreciate aluminium, whilst making for a very light vehicle,  bruises and splits very easily and these cars suffer from fatigue fractures particularly around the doors.  Early Z1's only weigh 650kg compared to the later all steel Z's and 17's weighing in at an enormous 805 kg.
I'll let the photos tell the story. Photos courtesy of Neville at the bodyshop.(I think?)

part four coming soon to a PC near you!                            
Great pictures Martin, but what a labour of love, keep up the good work.
Richard.
(08-23-2020, 03:53 PM)dickvick Wrote: Great pictures Martin, but what a labour of love, keep up the good work.
Richard.

Thanks Richard. As with most things Panhard it is proving to be a beast to bring back to life!
Martin